Scroll down this page for local Central Pennsylvania recycling and responsible disposal options for holiday waste, from Christmas trees and wreathes, to lights, ornaments, wrapping and packaging. Many towns and cities offer curbside collection, even for Christmas trees. Counties and unicorporated areas typically have a number or drop-off locations.
Christmas trees are usually colllected from December 26th through
the first 2 or 3 weeks in January. Whether your tree is picked up from
your curb, or you drop it off, be sure to remove all
remove all lights, wire, tinsel, ornaments, nails, stands, other
NON-Organic decorative materials and other materials that are not part
of the original tree. This includes tree stands also. Flocked trees are
occasionally accepted (call to verify), but not artificial trees. Large trees (larger
than the standard 6 - 7 ft tree) may need to be cut in half to
be acceptable by your
curbside garbage hauler.
The trees and wreathes are usually chipped and made into a mulch
which is ofteny made available, free to city or county residents.
Ornaments and light strings are usually placed into your
curbside collection bin. Some localities have year-round
collection centers. The same is true of wrapping paper and boxes.
Always follow the links (usually the blue, underlined name of the city or county) below for updated information, as these agencies often wait until the last minute to change dates or update their information.
If your area is not specifically mentioned below, call your trash collection
agency and ask!
Central Pennsylvania: Where and How to Recycle Your Christmas Tree After the Holidays January 2022
Trees should be free of ornaments, tinsel, nails, lights, stands, plastic bags or other manmade materials.
- Adamstown Borough - Drop-off at Community Pool on N Reading Rd December 26th to January 31st.
- Akron Borough - Drop-off at Roland Park on N. Eleventh St. December 26th to January 31st.
- Christmas Tree Recycling: Live undecorated trees can be dropped off at the highway yard located at 100 Chief Logan Circle in Altoona from
December 26th to January 17th. Trees can also be dropped off during regular business hours at either the Buckhorn Facility located on Black
Snake Road or the Duncansville Facility located on Dunnings Highway. Phone: 814-942-7472 for more info.
- Carlisle, PA - Christmas Tree Drop-off Event - Bourough's Compost Facility
Post Rd Compost Facility, Carlisle, PA
17013. Phone: (717) 249-4422. Program runs the first 2 full weeks in January, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. People wishing to drop off trees must
provide proof of residency in the borough of Carlisle.
- Christiana Borough - Drop-off at Lions Park on N Bridge St December 26th to January 31st.
- Colerain Township - Drop-off at Legion Memorial Park, Quarryville December 26th to January 31st.
- Columbia Borough - Drop-off at Columbia Fire Company at the corner of 10th and Manor St - or - the
Columbia Borough Yard Waste Center on Blue Lane on January 8, 2022 from 8 am to 12 pm.
- Denver Borough - Drop-off at Borough lot at corner of N 8th and Main St . From December 28, 2020 to mid-January, Monday to
Friday, 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. Purchasers of the $15 access card will have normal access.
- Drumore Township - Drop-off at Legion Memorial Park, Quarryville December 26th to January 31st.
- Earl Township - Drop-off at Maintenance Building on 125 E Huyard Rd December 26th to January 31st.
- East Cocalico Township - Drop-off area designated for Township residents only during the month of January located behind
the Municipal Building at 100 Hill Rd, Denver. Please follow signs. (DO NOT place on the woody waste pile.) Open from dawn to dusk seven days a
- East Donegal Township, PA - Christmas Tree Collection
Marrietta, PA 17547. Phone: (717) 426-3167. Christmas tree
curbside collection by contracted hauler on January 8, 2022.. This is for residents of East Donegal Township only. Residents may also make an
appointment to drop off their Christmas tree at the Mount Joy Borough Compost Site by calling (717) 653-2300.
- East Drumore Township - Drop-off at Legion Memorial Park, Quarryville December 26th to January 31st.
- East Hempfield Township - Curbside collection by contractor on the second week of January on regular
collection day. Drop-off at Municipal Building on Nissley Rd until January 31, dawn to dusk.
- East Lampeter Township - Please contact your hauler for Christmas tree pickup service.
- East Petersburg Borough - Annual Boy Scout Troop 33 Christmas Tree Chipping' event at the East Petersburg Community Park
parking lot (6051 Pine Street) on January 8, 2022. Donations are
requested. You can register for tree pick-up at the Borough office (you will
receive a tag). If you decide to have the hauler remove your tree you must get a $5.00 tag at the Borough office.
- Eden Township - Drop-off at Legion Memorial Park at SECA Pool parking lot, Quarryville December 26th to January 31st.
- Elizabeth Township - Drop-off at Municipal Building on South View Dr . From December 26th to February 28, daily, dawn to
- Elizabethtown Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on scheduled yard waste collection days.
Ephrata, PA - Christmas Tree Recycling, Free curbside Christmas tree pickup. The Borough of Ephrata provides free curbside pick up
of Borough resident's Christmas trees. Simply place your tree(s) curbside the same day as your recycling during the during January 3, 2022 and
January 17, 2022 on regular collection day. and the Borough's hauler will pick it up. Missed Dates If
you miss these scheduled collection dates you may purchase a $4 oversized tag at the Borough Business Office. Put the tag on your tree and place
it curbside the same day as your recycling for pick up. Prep Tree - Please prepare your tree by removing all lights, ornaments, tree stands, and
bags. If you have any questions or need additional information call 717-738-9222 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through
Friday. Please Note: Martin Mulch Products, located at 55 Woodcrest Drive, will accept Christmas trees. For questions concerning fees, hours of
operation, etc. please call them directly at 717-733-1602.
- Elizabethtown Borough, PA - Christmas Tree Collection Program
Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Phone: (717) 367-1700. Christmas
trees will be collected curbside by a contracted hauler on one day in January only. Call for this year's date. This is only for residents of
- Harrisburg, PA - Curbside Recycling Program
Harrisburg, PA 17104. Phone: (717) 236-4802. Christmas trees will be picked
up on trash days during the first two weeks of January. Residents are asked not to put trees out until it is their trash pick-up day. For
residents of Harrisburg only.
- Lancaster Township, PA - CURBSIDE COLLECTION of REAL
Christmas trees is the second week of January. CURBSIDE COLLECTION of REAL Christmas trees will take place township wide on ONE DAY ONLY!
Friday, January 14, 2022. This collection applies to REAL Christmas trees ONLY. Artificial trees are not included.
This is the only free
collection day for real Christmas trees. If you miss the free collection day, you will need to purchase a $4 Red tag to have the tree collected.
Do not put real trees out before the January 14 collection day, however, be sure your tree is out on the curb the night before.
If you want
to put your real tree out before the free collection day, then it MUST have a RED extra service tag attached.
ALL decorations must be
removed. Tree should not be in a bag.
ARTIFICIAL TREES can be put out with the trash, and MUST have a RED extra service tag attached. ALL
decorations must be removed. Tree should not be in a bag.
Red Tags - $4.00 each, are purchased at the township office.
* Also, DROP OFF of REAL Christmas trees at the Lancaster
Township woody waste facility is a service for township residents only.
December 28 thru mid-January from Dawn to Dusk In the
designated (signed) area only!
Lancaster (City), PA - The City will collect Christmas trees at curbside collection during the first 2 full weeks of January. Residents
should place trees at curbside on their regularly scheduled collection day where they set out trash and recyclable materials. To be collected
for recycling into mulch, trees must be free of all decorations including ornaments, lights, tinsel, and stands. Please contact the Solid Waste
Hotline at 291-4744 with questions. Residents should place trees at curbside on their regularly scheduled collection day where they set out
trash and recyclable materials. To be collected for recycling into mulch, trees must be free of all decorations including ornaments, lights,
tinsel, and stands. Collection dates are the second and third full weeks in January.
Lancaster Landfill and SECCRA Landfill - Residents of the following townships may drop off their Christmas trees (free of
decorations) at these two landfills:
Avondale Borough; Caln Township, Downingtown; East Pikeland, Kennett Square Borough, Phoenixville
Borough, Schuylkill, South Coatesville (CCCRA), Spring City; Tredyffrin, Valley Township, West Nottingham, West Caln Township, Wallace Township,
West Goshen Township, West Bradford, West Brandywine (Vollmecke Orchard), West Chester Borough
Chester County Lanchester Landfill
Route 322W, Honey Brook, PA
7224 Division Highway
Narvon, PA 17555 610-273-3771
219 Street Rd.
West Grove, PA 610-869-2452
- Lancaster Township - Curbside collection of real trees by contractor during the second week of Januaryon
regular collection day. If you miss the free collection, you must purchase and attach a red extra service tag. Township residents only may drop
off real trees at the Lancaster Township yard waste facility . From December 28 to mid-January, dawn to dusk, in the designated
(signed) area only.
Lancaster County, PA -
Lancaster County Central Park: Trees can be dropped off daily from December 26 through January 31 during regular park hours. Residents are asked
to use the Chesapeake Street entrance. A $1.00 per tree donation is requested and appreciated to support park programs. Call the park office at
(717) 299-8215 with questions.
Martin Mulch Products (55 Woodcrest Drive, Ephrata): Trees can be dropped off Monday through Saturday from
dawn till dusk. Single trees cost $2.00 each to drop-off, while price varies for larger deliveries. Call (717) 733-1602 with questions
Brothers (4000 East Harrisburg Pike, Middletown): Trees can be dropped off Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. at no charge. Call (717)
944-7481 with questions.
Solid Waste Management Authority
(LCSWMA) has assembled
a list of Recycling Drop-Off Centers in Lancaster County as a guideline to individuals interested in recycling materials.
Lebanon, PA - Recycle Your Christmas Tree for FREE. Any Lebanon County resident is eligible for the FREE Christmas Tree Recycling
Program. A GLRA License is NOT required. Please provide the Christmas tree only, no decorations. Trees must be under the 10 foot maximum height
or cut in half. There is no cost for recycling. December 26th through February 16 bring your tree to the GLRA Recycling Center at 1610 Russel
Road. Tree must be free of all decorations and paint! We're open Monday thru Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM and Saturday 8:00 AM to 11:45 AM.
- Lititz Borough - Curbside collection by Lititz Borough Public Works during the week of January 10, 2022.
- Little Britain Township - Drop-off at the Township Park near the baseball field on Green Ln in Nottingham, December 26th to
- Lower Allen Township, PA - Curbside Recycling Program
Camp Hill, PA 17011. Phone: (717) 975-7575. Please call for
Christmas tree collection information. For residents of Lower Allen Township only.
- Manheim Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on January 6, 2022.
- Manheim Township Drop-off at Manheim Township Compost Facility on Oregon Pike for Manheim Township residents only. Trees
accepted free of charge until January 31. Trees dropped off 2/1, through 3/31, are charged $3.
- Manor Township - Drop-off at Manor Township Community Park at corner of Charlestown & Millersville Rds, Creswell Park at
3103 River Rd, Washington Boro Park at corner of River Rd and Route 999, and Greider Park at 306 Dickinson Ave. . From December 26th to January
21, dawn to dusk.
- Marietta Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on January 14, 2022.
- Mechanicsburg, PA - Christmas Tree
Recycling Drop-off Event for residents of Mechanicsburg only.
842 W Church Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Phone: (717)
691-3310. The Borough compost site is not free. Contact the city for details.
For the private service, Penn Waste, see this page.
- Millersville Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on January 8, 2022.
- Mountville Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on January 7, 2022.
- Mount Joy Borough, PA - Compost Site, Curbside collection by contractor starting January 8, 2022 on
regular collection day.
159 S Jacob St., Mt. Joy, PA 17552. Phone: (717) 653-2300. For residents of East Donegal Township, Mount Joy Borough
only. Drop off trees the first weekend of the month between dawn and dusk.
- New Holland Borough - Curbside collection by contractor on January 6, 2022.
- Palmyra, PA - Curbside Collection Program
Palmyra, PA 17078. Phone: (717) 838-6361. Christmas trees will be collected
on trash days during the month of January. This is for Palmyra residents only.
- Penn Township - Drop-off at Municipal Building (in orange fenced area) at 97 N Penryn Rd, December 26th to February 1.
- Pequea Township - Drop-off at Silver Mine Park roped off area marked with sign in 1st parking lot at the Rte. 324 (Marticville
Rd) entrance on December 26th to January 31st, daily from dawn to dusk.
- Providence Township - Drop-off at Municipal Building on Mount Airy Rd, December 26th to January 31st, Mon to Thu, 7 am
to 4 pm.
- Quarryville Borough - Drop-off at Legion Memorial Park at SECA Pool parking lot between December 26th to January 31.
- Rapho Township - Drop-off at Municipal Building on N Colebrook Rd, . From December 26th to January 9, 2022 for no charge,
daily from dawn to dusk. Curbside collection by contractor on January 15, 2022.
971 N Colebrook Rd, Manheim, PA 17545. Phone: (717)
665-3827. For residents of Rapho Township only.
Red Lion, PA - begins on January 2 . Place your Christmas tree at your usual trash pickup site Monday through Friday,
Red Lion Borough Public Works Department will pick it up.Please remove all decorations and bags!!
- Rye Township, PA - Recycling Drop-Off Site
1775 New Valley Rd, Marysville, PA 17053. Phone: (717) 957-2438. For
residents of Rye Township only. This is a 24-hour drop-off site.
- Salisbury Township Drop-off at Municipal Building on Old Philadelphia Pike throughout the year, daily from dawn to dusk.
Springfield Township - Wyndmoor, PA - Christmas Tree Collection - Township crews normally begin collecting Christmas Trees during
the first week of January. Please place your tree at the curbside on your regular collection day. Please do not "wrap" your tree in plastic as
it will be chipped into useful mulch and made available to Township residents at no charge at our property on West Wissahickon Avenue. Please
call the Township Building for the availability of leaf mulch and Christmas tree mulch as supplies vary throughout the year.215-836-7600.
- Strasburg Borough - Drop-off at the Strasburg Borough Public Works Department, 109 S Jackson St, December 26th to January
- Terre Hill Borough - Drop-off at 426 Linden St at the yard waste recycling facility throughout the year, daily, 6 am to 10
- Upper Leacock Township - Drop-off at Maintenance Building on Newport Rd, December 26th to January 31st, daily from dawn to
- Warwick Township - Drop-off at Municipal Building on Clay Rd, . From December 26th to January 24th daily from dawn to dusk.
- West Donegal Township - Curbside collection by contractor on January 12, 2021 (north side of Bainbridge Rd) and January 11,
2022 (south side of Bainbridge Rd). January 12, 2022 for the northside.
Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Phone: (717) 367-7178. Curbside Christmas tree collection by a contracted
hauler. This is for residents of West Donegal Township.
- West Earl Township - The West Earl compost facility on Locust St is open 24/7 every day of the year (with a valid compost
card for entry). Christmas tree pick up will be on Saturday, January 8, 2022, but it is only for West Earl Township residents who are in the West Earl
Township trash/recycling program.
- West Hempfield Township - Drop-off at Fairview Park on Fairview Rd, December 26th to January 31st. Curbside collection with
purchase of $5.00 red tag. Tree must be under 6' in length or cut into separate pieces.
- West Lampeter Township - Curbside collection on the first week in January on regular collection day.
York, PA - York City staff perform special curbside Christmas Tree collections generally during the first two weeks of January
each year. Please remove all foreign objects (plastic bags, lights, ornaments). Place tree at your designated collection point prior to 6 am on
your collection day during this period of time. After the first two weeks in January, the curbside hauler will collect any remaining Christmas
trees as regular trash. Each tree replaces a bag/can of trash in the normal bag limit. Questions? Please contact York City, Public Works
Department at 849-2245. There is also a York County Christmas Tree Recycling Drop-Off Site - Solid Waste Authority Facility
Flour Mill Rd,
York, PA 17406. Phone: (717) 845-1066. This program runs from December 26 to January 31. For residents of York County only. This is a 24-hour
York County, PA - Recycle your Christmas Tree at the Parking Lot Directly Across from the Resource Recovery Center: Christmas trees
are accepted Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 4 PM and Saturdays 8 AM to noon from December 26 through January 31. There is no fee to York
County residents. Residents should follow the signs along Blackbridge Road directing them to the parking lot across from the Resource Recovery
Center at 2651 Blackbridge Road. Please remove lights, ornaments, tinsel and protective bags from your tree before delivery. Trees collected are
shipped off site to an end user. Other Christmas Tree Recycling Options: Many municipalities now offer Christmas tree collection for their
residents as part of the curbside recycling program. Contact your municipality to find out if they offer this service.