Scroll down this page for local Sonoma County California recycling and responsible disposal options for holiday waste, from Christmas trees and wreathes, to lights, ornaments, wrapping and packaging. Many towns and cities offer curbside collection, even for Christmas trees. Counties and unicorporated areas typically have a number or drop-off locations.
Christmas trees are usually colllected from December 26th through the first 2 or 3 weeks in January. Whether your tree is picked up from your curb, or you drop it off, be sure to remove all remove all lights, wire, tinsel, ornaments, nails, stands, other NON-Organic decorative materials and other materials that are not part of the original tree. This includes tree stands also. Flocked trees are occasionally accepted (call to verify), but not artificial trees. Large trees (larger than the standard 6 - 7 ft tree) may need to be cut in half to be acceptable by your curbside garbage hauler.
The trees and wreathes are usually chipped and made into a mulch which is ofteny made available, free to city or county residents.
Ornaments and light strings are usually placed into your curbside collection bin. Some localities have year-round collection centers. The same is true of wrapping paper and boxes.
Always follow the links (usually the blue, underlined name of the city or county) below for updated information, as these agencies often wait until the last minute to change dates or update their information. If your area is not specifically mentioned below, call your trash collection agency and ask!
The annual Sonoma County Christmas Tree Collection Program runs the first two
weeks in January. Christmas trees are recycled into mulch and compost. H.
Residents have four options for recycling their Christmas tree this year:
1. Cut the tree to fit in your yard waste container or have your whole tree picked up at the curb (select areas). Put your tree in your yard waste container and place at the curb on your regular yard waste collection day. The tree MUST be CUT TO FIT inside the container (4 foot or less sections, please). Trees sticking out of the container can interfere with the lifting arm on the truck. Thank you for your help. Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, Windsor and unincorporated Sonoma County have whole tree collection. Place your unflocked tree beside your yard waste container on your regular collection day in early to mid January.
Unincorporated Please visit www.unicycler.com after December 15th for updated information.
Outside of listed days, place tree in yard waste container; cut the tree to fit. Please do not bag your tree.
2. Call (707) 565-3333 for an appointment to have a non-profit in your area pickup your tree. Call before Friday, January 2 to arrange for pickup. The suggested donation for this service is $7 for trees less than 6 feet and (Prices may have changed!) $10 for larger trees.
3. Special whole tree collection for Rohnert Park multifamily complexes: Managers of multifamily complexes in Rohnert Park can arrange to have their tenant's trees picked up by special arrangement. Contact Latisha Richardson at Rohnert Park Disposal at (707) 586-2283 or email [email protected].
4. Free drop-off locations throughout the county. Residents may take up to two trees to any of the following drop-off locations listed on this page at no charge
Also visit the related section on this Sonoma County website. Christmas Tree Recycling Programs by City
Additionally, residents in Cloverdale, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert
Park, Santa Rosa, Windsor, and unincorporated Sonoma County have the
option of whole-tree collection. Place your UNBAGGED and UNFLOCKED tree
beside your yard waste container on your normal collection day on the
Cotati - January 3, 2022 - January 7, 2022
Healdsburg - December 27 - January 7, 2022
Petaluma - January 3, 2022 - January 7, 2022
Rohnert Park - January 3, 2022 - January 14, 2022
Santa Rosa - December 27 - January 7, 2022
Windsor - December 27 - December 31
* Whole tree collection up to 6 feet tall may be placed on the curb.
Unincorporated January 3, 2022 - January 28, 2022 Please visit www.recology.com/recology-sonoma-marin for updated information.
Drop-offs: Residents may take up to two trees to any of the following drop-off locations at no charge. Fees apply for businesses.