Free Environmental Newsletters, Emails & Subscriptions
Free Environmental Newsletters, Emails & Subscriptions
Looking for a
credible environmental newsletter covering a particular topic and free? This page provides the most comprehensive and up-to-date listing of currently-available, free environmental newsletters available.
Updated for 2009!
Back to News Center
- All Government Newsletters - all free. Mostly they are NOT environmentally-oriented. View the complete list and sign up here. On that page, just check the newsletters you want, enter your e-mail address in the box at the bottom of the page, and click the subscribe button.
- Agricultural Research Service Newsletter - ARS research news in daily and weekly formats is available.
Arid Lands Newsletter
A semiannual newsletter published by the Office of Arid Land
Studies, University of Arizona.
- Building Sciences
- CA Compass (Spring 2004 - present) - The CA Compass is EPA's newsletter for compliance assistance providers. Each issue will focus on a particular theme or topic and will include a calendar of upcoming and past events, contacts and other resources.
Health, Safety and Environmental newsletter from the
Canadian Auto Worker's Union.
- CCICED Newsletter
Quarterly newsletter from the China Council for
International Cooperation on Environment and Development.
Citizens' Report on Brownfields.
In November, 1998, CPEO and the Pacific Studies Center introduced this
newsletter, which disseminates reports and viewpoints on U.S. EPA's
Brownfields program and on economic and environmental issues pertaining to
private sites at which future use is linked to environmental remediation.
- Citizens' Report on the Military and the Environment.
Several times a year CPEO publishes, in conjunction with the Pacific Studies
Center, this newsletter, which highlights important policy developments in
Defense Department cleanup and other military environmental issues.
- Clean Water News
Published monthly by the National Association of Clean Water Act Agencies.
(appears to have ended in 2006, but you can get the back issues (1998 - 2006
- CleanupNews (Winter 1998 - present) - A quarterly published by the Office of Site Remediation Enforcement that highlights hazardous waste cleanup news, policy updates, court cases, technology, events, publications, and more. CleanupNews brings you the latest news about Superfund cleanups, RCRA corrective actions, and other remedial efforts related to underground storage tanks and oil spills. It also highlights policy developments, case studies, technology advances, new resources and publications, court cases, and more.
- Closing the Circle - the appears to be dead (January 2009)
Quarterly publication from the Office of the Federal Environmental Executive
promoting sustainable environmental stewardship throughout the federal
- Coastlines: National Estuary Program Newsletter
Quarterly publication of the EPA's Office of Water/National
- Conservation Update
The U.S. Department of Energy's State Energy Program (SEP) publishes
Conservation Update bimonthly to summarize renewable energy and energy projects
of state energy offices.
PROACT's bimonthly publication, highlights current environmental issues
affecting the U.S. Air Force, providing information on pollution prevention
initiatives and environmental compliance, as well as spotlighting best
management practices from the U.S. Air Force Environmental Compliance Assessment
and Management Program (ECAMP). CrossTalk features regulatory alerts, upcoming
environmental conferences, new environmental tools and technologies, and
education and training resources.
- The Detector (Jan. 2004 - present) - Newsletter of EPA's Safe Buildings Monitoring and Detection Technology Verification Program.
- DOE's EERE Progress Alert and DOE's Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Network News
A free email bulletin that announces new and significant developments in
EERE's programs and research. Issued as developments occur. And the free weekly newsletter that summarizes the latest news from EERE as well
as the latest national news about renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- DOE's FEMP Focus
FEMP Focus is FEMP's quarterly newsletter that promotes energy awareness,
recognizes successes, and communicates information about saving energy and
dollars to the Federal community. FEMP Focus keeps you informed about successful
Federal energy-saving projects and partnerships, conferences and workshops,
innovative financing strategies, technical analysis tools and updates, and
developments in energy management.
- DOE Pulse - appears to be discontinued (January 2009)
This newsletter highlights work being done at the Department of Energy's
national laboratories. DOE Pulse is distributed twice each month. Each issue
will include research highlights, updates on collaborations among laboratories,
and profiles of individual researchers.
- DOE Solar Energy Technologies Program Publications and Newsletters
This quarterly newsletter, begun in July 2007, is especially intended for
participants and stakeholders in the DOE Solar Program and the Solar America
Initiative. The content includes Features on technology development, market
transformation, and policy analysis. News and Updates highlights funding
opportunity announcements and awards, national laboratory technology
developments, and a solar events calendar.
The EERE Information Center answers questions on EERE's products, services,
and 10 technology programs, refers callers to the most appropriate EERE
resources, and refers qualified callers to the appropriate expert networks.
- Earth 911 News The stated mission of Earth 911 is to empower the public with community-specific resources to improve their quality of life, and to ensure the preservation of our natural resources for future generations. Earth 911 is a comprehensive communication medium for the environment. Earth 911 has taken environmental hotlines, web sites and other information sources nationwide, and consolidated them into one network. Their Newsletter is issued monthly and covers a broad range of environmental topics with a large emphasis on recycling.
The Climate Action Network Newsletter
- ElectricGreen Environmental News
Weekly Canadian email environmental newsletter covers news
on all environmental issues around the world with a section
focussing particularly on Canada.
- ENDS Environment Daily
Daily newsletter published by Environmental Data Services
Ltd. on European environmental affairs.
- Energizing EPA (Jan. 1999 - present) - A newsletter highlighting the Agency's efforts to improve energy and water efficiency at its facilities.
- Enforcement Alert (Aug. 1998 - present) - An electronic newsletter from the Office of Enforcement Compliance and Assurance intended to inform and educate the public and regulated community of important environmental enforcement issues, recent trends and significant enforcement actions. TThe information they contain should help the regulated community comply with environmental laws and applicable regulations.
- Environmental Financial Advisory Board Newsletter (March 2001 - present) - The EFAB provides advice to the Environmental Protection Agency's Administrator and Program Offices on "how to pay" questions for environmental protection.
- Environmental Justice Quarterly (Fall 2002 - present) - Information on EPA's actions and programs related to environmental justice.
- Environment Matters
World Bank triannual environmental magazine.
- Environment Watch
Twice-monthly newsletter mainly on environmental policy
- Environmental Building News
Annual newsletter on subjects relating to green building
Semiannual newsletter covering environment employment
trends, career profiles, career statistics and Canadian Council
for Human Resources in the Environment Industry youth program
- Energy Matters
This quarterly newsletter from BestPractices, under the Industrial
Technologies Program, provides industry professionals with energy efficiency
news, technical tips, case studies, and energy saving opportunities.
An electronic network aimed at advancing clean energy solutions. This free
resource will help you stay informed and take action on renewable energy issues
while expanding your skills and expertise. Sponsored by the Union of Concerned
Produced by the University of California Energy Institute.
- Enforcement Alert
These newletters inform the public and those regulated by environmental laws
about important environmental enforcement issues, recent trends, and significant
enforcement actions. The information they contain should help the regulated
community comply with environmental laws and applicable regulations.
- Environmental Management Accounting
The purpose of this list is to provide an open forum for the posting and
discussion of news and information relating to environmental accounting. List
members are individuals who have been active in the field of environmental
accounting, who want to examine EA successes and challenges, and are looking to
share information on future environmental accounting-related activities. To
subscribe to this listserv, send a blank e-mail to
- Environmental Update
A quarterly publication of Army environmental news.
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EEP) Update
An EPA newsletter to help government purchasers consider the environmental
factors in the EPP equation and to keep purchasers informed of EPP news.
- Envirotech News -
This monthly newsletter contains information relevant to the environmental
technology industry under the following headings: Government Funding
Opportunities, Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) Opportunities, and
FedEnviroNews-Online is a free computerized, subscription-based information
service (listserv) operated by EPA that provides environmental news and
information of interest to Federal Facilities. Access to the listserv includes
access to the FedEnviroNews-Online Newsletter.
- EPA Activities Update - A monthly publication of EPA highlights and activities including: summaries of press releases, upcoming public meetings, upcoming congressional hearings, EPA senior management statements and testimonies, reports and publications, enforcement actions, Federal Register notices and highlights of EPA rulemakings.
- EPA News
EPA news releases
- EPA News Espanol -
EPA news releases in Spanish
- EPA RANDD News - Archive
News briefs regarding Science and Research
- EPA-Air - Archive
Federal Register Air documents
U.S. EPA Chemical Emergency Preparedness and Prevention Office (CEPPO)
Environmental Justice information
- EPA-General - Archive
Federal Register General documents
- Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Success in Stewardship
This is a FHWA monthly newsletter highlighting current environmental
streamlining practices from around the country.
- Federal Network for Sustainability (FNS) Electronic Newsletter
The first issue of this newsletter was issued in April 2005. The purpose of
this newsletter is to summarize and disseminate available, up-to-date
information about sustainability.
FedFacs is an EPA environmental bulletin highlighting news and developments
of particular interest to Federal facilities. FedFacs highlights compliance
assistance for Federal agencies, pollution prevention information, EPA-Federal
agency partnerships and other topical information. (April 1995 - present) -
- Fish and Wildlife Advisory News (May 2001 - present) - News about the science, communication, and health issues related to fish advisories.
- Geological Society of America
Various geological topics.
- Global Leaflet
USDA Forest Service International Program's newsletter on
international sustainable forest management and biodiversity
- Go Green!
A monthly newsletter from the US EPA with information about activities and
events that everyone can use to make a difference in their homes, communities,
- Green Lights and ENERGY STAR Buildings Update and Bulletin (March 2000 - present) - A quarterly publication that provides in-depth information about participant accomplishments and program developments.
- Green Power and Market Research News
A Free weekly newsservice from Western's Renewable Resource program covering
green power, renewable energy, and market research strategies provided for
- Green Vehicles - Archive
Updates and Hot Topics of Green Vehicle Guide
GREENYES is an open (unmoderated) discussion forum focusing on policies and
strategies needed to advance sustainable resource policies. We seek to advance
serious discussion from a broad range of viewpoints. The GREENYES mailing list
is a project of the GrassRoots Recycling Network. To subscribe to this listserv,
send a blank e-mail to
- Gulf of Mexico Program Newsletter (May 2002 - present) - Current activities related to the economic and environmental health of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Hydrogen & Fuel Cell Letter
Monthly newsletter on the development of hydrogen and fuel
- Innovations - Archive
This listserv is provided by EPA's National Center for Environmental Innovation
to share information about activities and events related to environmental
innovation. Many of the featured news items are taken from EPA's press releases,
and most include a web link for obtaining more complete information.
Institute for Research and Technical Assistance (IRTA) Pollution Prevention
IRTA's quarterly newsletter reports the latest environmental news and
discussing current issues involving cleaning, coating and adhesive technologies.
Public and non-profit recycling market developers
- Land Revitilization Update
A quarterly electronic newsletter highlighting news, resources and policies
impacting cleanup and reuse of contaminated properties.
- MarkeTips Magazine
GSA's premier feature length magazine that profiles GSA customers and
partnerships and also highlights pertinent procurement, supply, property
management, and travel and transportation information directed to federal users
of the GSA supply system. MarkeTips is published on a bi-monthly basis.
- Mercury Policy, Legislation, and Regulations
The purpose of this listserve is to function as an information exchange forum
for state, local, and federal officials on legislative, policy, and regulatory
issues related to mercury reduction. In order to maximize the usefulness of
Mercury_Policy to officials, membership is restricted to federal, state and
local government employees only. Consultants, industry representatives, and
environmental organizations will not be allowed to participate. To subscribe,
send a blank e-mail to:
- MFTZ Environment Monitor
Newsletter on the Mediterranian Free Trade Zone published by
Friends of the Earth Middle East.
- Military Environmental Forum
Newsgroup operated by the Center for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO).
It addresses cleanup issues associated with military sites.
- The Monitor (Jan. 2000 - present) - The newsletter of the ETV Advanced Monitoring Systems (AMS) Center.
- National Defense Center for Environmental Excellence (NDCEE) Newsletter
Information on innovative approaches to environmental concerns.
- National Idling Reduction Network News
The National Idling Reduction Network brings together trucking and transit
companies, railroads, equipment manufacturers, local, state and federal
government agencies (including regulators), and national research laboratories
to identify consistent, workable solutions to heavy vehicle idling for the
entire United States.
- National Wetlands Newsletter
Issued 6 times per year, the intent of the newsletter is to provide
accurate, timely, and in-depth coverage of wetland regulation, policy, science,
- NERO's Northern Region Review
This publication provides current information on environmental activities
and events relevant to the U.S. Army interests in the 22 states and territories
in Federal Regions 1, 2, 3 and 5. The Review is intended to be a tool useful to
DoD and Army environmental decision makers, planners, and program managers in
carrying out their responsibilities.
- Nonpoint Source News-Notes (March 1995 - present) - An occasional bulletin dealing with the condition of the water-related environment, the control of nonpoint sources of water pollution, and the ecosystem-driven management and restoration of watersheds.
- Oil Spill Program Update (Oct 1997 - present) - Quarterly update of the activities of EPA's Oil Spill Program.
- OPPT Tribal News (Sep. 1998 - present) - Environmental news for Indian tribes from the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics.
- Partners In Progress (Oct. 1998 - present) - An update on Federal facility cleanup and reuse.
- PESP Update (Fall 1997 - present) - A periodical news brief on the Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program.
- Pipeline (Winter 1995 - present) - Focuses on a single wastewater topic and presents it in an easy-to-read format.
- Quarterly Review
A bimonthly newsletter from the Harvard Center for Health
and the Global Environment.
- RCRA Corrective Action News (Nov. 1999 - present) - Three issues available from the Office of Solid Waste.
- Reef Check Newsletter
Newsletter of The Reef Check Foundation, a global coral reef
education, monitoring and management program.
- Registry Update (Spring 1999 - present) - Covers a variety of topics related to metadata, information registries, and data standards.
- Responsible Purchasing Update
The newsletter contains RPN program news, summaries of news articles related
to responsible purchasing, and a calendar of events.
The Society for Ecological Restoration International provides RESTORE as a
service to the restoration community. Subscription is open to anyone who is
interested in sharing and/or learning about opportunities or information
relevant to ecological restoration (conferences, workshops, jobs, informal
requests, etc.). Listed events and announcements are not necessarily endorsed by
SER. RESTORE is sent out as often as newsworthy events are submitted.
- Small Flows Quarterly (Winter 2000 - present) - Features news, technical, and educational articles about a variety of small community wastewater issues, including treatment technologies, regulations, and finance.
- Small Business Ombudsman Update (Jan. 1996 - present) - The Office of the Small Business Ombudsman serves as an effective conduit for small businesses to access EPA and facilitates communications between the small business community and the Agency.
- Sustainability News
Sustainability News explores the relationships between people, their
landscapes, and their future, and how national parks and park partners are
demonstrating "best practices" systemwide.
- Technology News and Trends (July 2002 - present) - A newsletter about soil, sediment, and ground-water characterization and remediation technologies.
- TribalAir Newsletter (April 2001 - present) -
This is a quarterly newsletter produced by EPA's Office of Air Quality
Planning and Standards as one of their tools to make Tribal air professionals
aware of air pollution control activities early enough to allow them and their
tribe to participate in their development. This newsletter will provide
information on upcoming activities (e.g., workshops and trainings) as well as, a
place to report progress. We welcome your suggestions for subjects to include in
the Newsletter and ideas for improving it.
- Tribal Waste Journal (May 2002 - present) - From the Waste Management in Indian Country program, each issue features a different topic and include a kids section. Published annually, EPA's Tribal Waste Journal replaces the Native American Network newsletter.
- TWRI Newsletters
Texas Waternet Resources Institute publishes 5 newsletters
on water related topics.
- Volunteer Monitor (Spring 1993 - present) - The national newsletter of volunteer water quality monitoring.
- WasteWise Update
The WasteWise Update is the WasteWise program's principal technical
assistance periodical. Each WasteWise Update details a single waste reduction
strategy and provides case studies of organizations that have successfully
implemented that strategy.
All WasteWise Partners and Endorsers
- Water Talk (May 1997 - present) - Published quarterly by the U.S. EPA Region 10, Water Talk seeks to be a useful tool for those who protect water resources and ecosystems in communities of the Greater Pacific Northwest.
- WaterNews (Jan. 1998 - present) - A weekly on-line publication that announces publications, policies, and activities of the U.S. EPA's Office of Water. A newsletter published by the National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS).
Waternews - Archive
- Web Ambassador - Archive
EPA web site updates
- Wheels & Wings Newsletter
Wheels & Wings is a quarterly GSA newsletter that addresses issues
concerning motor vehicle and aircraft management policies.
Department of Defense Newsletters
Protection Agency Newsletters
The following newsletters are no longer being published, but their archives are
usually available online and free for reference purposes.
- American Indian Environmental Office Update (Feb. 1998 - May 2002) - A quarterly publication from AIEO.
- AMTIC IMPROVE (Jan. 1992 - Jan 1998) - A quarterly publication of the Ambient Monitoring Technology Information Center, which describes events, regulations, and technology relating to the measurement of air pollution.
- Audit Policy Update (Apr. 1996 - Spring 2001) - Published periodically for the Assistant Administrator for Enforcement and Compliance Assurance by its Office of Regulatory Enforcement. The Update is intended to provide information to the public and regulated communities regarding developments under the EPA Audit Policy.
- Coastlines (Fall 1994 - Nov. 2003) - A bi-monthly information about estuaries and near coastal waters from the National Estuary Program.
- Contaminated Sediment News (April 1996 - Aug. 2003) - A monthly review of recent journal articles, issues in the press, upcoming conferences, and other news.
- EarthLink (Nov. 1995 - Sep./Oct. 2000) - A bi-monthly current awareness newsletter produced by UNEP-Infoterra/USA. EarthLink provides information on international environmental activities, publications and news of interest to EPA staff and other environment professionals.
- Ground Water Currents (Sep. 1992 - April 2002) - Developments in innovative groundwater treatment from the Technology Innovation Office of the U.S. EPA Office of Solid Waste.
- INFO ACCESS: Records and Information Management Newsletter (Oct. 1993 - Winter 2002) - A forum to provide information and report on progress in records and information management across the Agency.
- Inside IAQ (Spring/Summer 1995 - Spring/Summer 2003) - Highlights indoor air quality (IAQ) research conducted by EPA's National Risk Management Research Laboratory's (NRMRL's) Indoor Environmental Management Branch (IEMB) and other parts of EPA's Office of Research and Development.
- Inside the Greenhouse (Spring 1997 - Summer 2002) - Focuses on innovative state and local programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; Inside the Greenhouse is a quarterly, electronic publication produced by the EPA's State and Local Climate Change Program.
- NERL Research News (June 2001 - July 2002) - Information about recent research from the National Exposure Research Laboratory.
- RCRA/UST, Superfund & EPCRA Hotline Reports (Nov 1991 - March 2004) - A monthly compilation of frequently asked regulatory questions for which EPA has provided answers and prepares them in a question and answer format.
- Reusable News Newsletters (Spring 1994 - Spring 2003) - A collection of information from the U.S. EPA's Office of Solid Waste.
- Science Advisory Board (SAB) Newsletter (Aug. 2002 - Dec. 2003) - News and events pertaining to the activities of the Science Advisory Board.
- SRF's UP (Summer 1999 - Summer 2002) - A quarterly newsletter about the the Clean Water and Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Programs.
- Tech Trends (July 1990 - March 2002; became Technology News and Trends) - A newsletter that provides descriptions and performance data for innovative source control technologies that have been applied in the field.
- Water Quality Criteria and Standards Newsletter (Jan/Feb 1996 - Spring/Summer 2001) - A periodic newsletter about issues affecting water quality standards from the Office of Water's Office of Science and Technology.
- Watershed Events (Summer 1994 - Spring 2001) For interested parties on the development and use of watershed protection approaches.
- US EPA's Pollution Prevention News -This was a great EPA newsletter... so they stopped publishing it in June 1998. It appears as though they have also taken down the back issues. If anyone has an electronic copy, let us know and we'll publish them here! You can still to download back issues (prior to July 1998) here. When the EPA gets around to reviving the newsletter (if it happens; maybe in mid-2007) it will be here
Chemicals in Our Community consolidates two publications originally published by EPA - Chemicals in the Environment: Public Access Information and Chemicals in Progress Bulletin. This new publication is a hybrid of its parent publications.
Currently Available Issues
- Issue #2, Winter 1999 (PDF only - 406KB )
- Issue #1, Fall 1998 ( PDF - 560KB )
- Available Back Issues of Chemicals in Progress Bulletin:
Toxic News for the Net is a daily summary of news on environmental and toxic-related issues. It is compiled by the U.S. EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics from major news outlets including The Washington Post, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal.
Emcom - A great online environment newsletter - click here then click on the current month to see the archive list and read current envi news
More to come! Have one to recommend? Email us
PLEASE NOTE: Some of the documents mentioned in this Section are in Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF). To view or print them you will need to have the Adobe Acrobat Reader program installed on your computer. The Reader can be downloaded and used with no charge; click here for more information.